The old harmonium, which was found to be a complement to the stage of advancement than attained, was decided upon as deserving to be replaced by another instrument, a pipe organ of not an expensive model, and this suggestion, having been agreed to, an appeal was launched out for money to cover the cost of a small pipe organ. When this amount was gathered in, an order was placed for same in England, and on arrival, it was put together by Rev. Hamlyn himself in 1900.
This organ had only one manual and five stops suitable for a small church, small choir, and small congregation. But its tone was exceedingly beautiful and pleasing for its size and type, and was generally admired in Lagos, and for visitors from abroad; but as the church grew in importance, with increased number of congregation, and efficiency of the choir, the two main essentials required in an organ, viz, the sufficiency of the manual and the stops were found to be a great handicap for greater achievement, and as it had outlived its days of usefulness, this organ alsohad to yield its place for another.
Mr. Puddicombe succeeded Mr. R. A. Coker as organist on the latter's admission to Holy Orders. Mr. D. J. Williams took over from Mr. Puddicombe; Mr. J. G. Kuye was the successor of Mr. D. J . Williams, and he, in turn, was relieved by Mr Lacton whose place was filled by Mr. T.K. E. Phillips. Mr. T.K.E. Phillips who became the Organist in Christ Church had been previous to his appointment, organist in St. Paul's Breadfruit Church. He left St. Paul's when he was leaving for England and it was on his return in 1914 that he took over from Mr. Frank Lacton. When Mr. Phillips went to England in 1911, he looked round for a moderately sized and inexpensive organ that would be more suitable as regards general construction, principally stops, manual, variety of sounds, etc., than the old manual organ. On his return he made recommendations, which led to a new organ being ordered. The new organ was a two-manual, reed organ, equipped with pedals and two manuals. It was dedicated at a special service on August 17th 1918.
The introduction of the cathedral system, pending the actual commencement of the, building operations was unanimously decided upon at the Vestry meeting held in Christ Church Faji School at 7.30 p.m. of Friday April, 20th 1923. As a Pro-Cathedral, the high class quality of the singing in the church which was then in evidence, the advanced stage to which the choir had attained as evinced by many classical works that had occupied its attention were arresting public attention more than ever. With all this progress going on, the advisability for a new large organ was very apparent, for, side by side with the question of enlarged accommodation was associated that of the organ. After due consideration it was decided that the Cathedral must be provided with an organ of a kind that would be commensurate with its greatness and importance in the diocese.
After the completion of the first stage of the building of the present Cathedral, it was decided to install a three-manual organ. The contract was awarded to the firm of Abbott & Smith, of Leeds England.
The Abbott & Smith organ was installed and dedicated in 1932. The specification was drawn up by the then organist the late Dr. T.K.E. Phillips in consultation with the builders. The total number of pipes was 1,271. The action was tubular pneumatics, exhaust system, with mechanical stop action.
In 1954 the organ was enlarged by the firm of Wm. Hill & Son, Norman & Beard Ltd. This enlargement was on the recommendation of Dr. T.KE. Phillips, with the aim of increasing the power and brilliance of the organ. This enlargement increased the number of pipes in the organ to 1,661.
By 1964, rebuilding of the organ was overdue, and it was decided that the opportunity should be taken to completely modernize the instrument and enlarge it to what might be called cathedral standards, befitting the position of the Cathedral and its musical tradition and standards, unequalled in Nigeria.
The contract for the work was signed with the Dutch firm of Bernard Pels & Zn. N.V. The specification was drawn up by Kenneth Jones Esq., B. A. I., M. A., in consultation with the late Dr. T.K.E. Phillips, M.B.E., Organ. ist Emeritus, and the present Organist and Master of the Music, C.O.O. Phillips Esq.,. B. COM. The specification was designed to be as eclectic as possible taking into account the nature of the stops retained from the old organ and the overall limit on the size of the new one.
Presently, the Cathedral has just been delivered a new 64 stops, 4 Manual Pipe organ. Built to specification by Oberlinger In Germany. This organ is now the biggest in Lagos.
This new organ also has the spanish Trumpets installed. And now the Cathedral can be heard from a distance away when music is being played on the organ.