Christ Church Cathedral, Lagos, popularly known as the Cathedral Church of Christ Marina, is the oldest Anglican Cathedral in the Church Of Nigeria Anglican Communion and also one of the finest of Cathedrals in Africa. It is the seat of the Archbishop of the Ecclesiastical Province of Lagos and automatically the seat of the Bishop of Lagos.
Established in 1869, Christ Church stands on a prominent position on the CMS suburb of the Marina, of the Lagos Island, overlooking the Lagos lagoon. Its current structure, which was completed in 1946, is the third church built to house its congregation and was designed by Architect Benjamin Bagandogi in a Norman Gothic style. The church is home to the well renowned Cathedral Church of Christ Choir, Lagos, a choral ensemble comprising men and boys who lead worship services along with the priests, delivering Traditional Anglican Cathedral Music and also offering concerts and live broadcasts on Radio during the course of the year.
The Foundation Stone of this Church was laid on the Twenty-Ninth day of March, in the year of our Lord, One Thousand, Eight Hundred and Sixty-Seven and in the Thirtieth year of the Reign of our Sovereign Lady Queen Victoria, by His Excellency John Hawley Glover, Administrator of this Colony of Lagos, and its Dependencies" as at then.
On 1st November 1924 there was a divine service for the Cutting of the first sod of the Cathedral, conducted by Bishop Jones. Among the clergy present was Rev. Amos N Cole of the Methodist Mission who was a chorister at the Ceremony of the Laying of the Foundation Stone in 1867.
The building was to be in three sections estimated at GBP46,000.00.
The laying of the Foundation stone, of white marble from New-castle-on-Tyne, of the Cathedral as we know it today was done by His Royal Highness, the Prince of Wales (afterwards King Edward VIII) on 21st April 1925. Bishop Jones dedicated the Stone while the sermon was taken by Bishop Oluwole. His Excellency, Sir Hugh Clifford attended. Silver trowel by Nigerian goldsmith, Mr Olumide Williams, presented to his Royal Highness the Prince of Wales.
The dedication of the first section, costing GBP14,500.00 by Bishop Jones assisted by Bishop Oluwole and Smith in the presence of Sir Frank Baddeley, Acting Govenor, Mr Henry Carr and Sir Kitoyi Ajasa as Chancellors of the Lagos and Niger Dioceses respectively .